An empty bullet shell is the perfect flower vase

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Thanks Birdy!



About a week ago I noticed a morning dove watching me as I did my morning business in the upstairs bathroom at work.  At first, I was a bit freaked out.  I mean, it kept blinking it's little eyes at me and I was afraid it was going to attack.  But then it didn't and I relaxed and went about my business.  The next time I went back, it was there again!  This time it gave me the courtesy to fly away until I was done and then it would come on back.  This went on for a few days and I grew to like this feathered bathroom friend.  I noticed that it had started to make a nest and everyday the cleaning lady would clean it up and everyday birdy would start over.  So I asked her to stop it with the nest destroying activities and am proud to say that she now has a nest next to the water heater.  And inside this nest is, or soon will be, eggs!





Afghans take this as a good omen.  I believe it!  Shortly after birdy's arrival, a series of good things happened to my boss.  I received some good news about my career.  I'm sure there are other bits of undocumented good news that I am not aware of, but you get the point.  So, I pointed birdy out to the video manager and he went to check her out.  When he came back he told me a fantastic story.  It goes a little something like this..........

VM has hanging plants off of the windows in his house.  One day he went to water one and noticed a morning dove had reclaimed the plant as its home.  He left the bird alone for the moment, but returned again once the mama was gone.  To his surprise, he found eggs in the plant.  So he took a planter and made a home for the eggs and moved the operation over (he was worried about his plant).  The eggs hatched and now there are more eggs!  This is where the story gets good.  So, his mother hadn't seen her brothers in many many moons.  So long, in fact, that they were considered to be missing.  A few days after the eggs hatched, she found herself restless and unable to sleep.  Pacing around the garden, she started to worry her son and daughter-in-law.  Suddenly, there is a knock at the door and she answers to find a stranger asking her if she knew Bibi joon (herself), or her husband.  This stranger mentioned that Bibi joon had a brother named so and so and then he saw the shock and excitement in her eyes.  Needless to say, she was the person they were looking for.  But they traveled to Kabul from Herat and knew only 2 names.  They being the wife on one brother and a cousin.  They knew what district VM lived in and they went there and spent 4 days knocking on doors, asking about Bibi joon.  People in the neighborhood thought they were some sort of child  nabbing gypsies.  But they found her and took her to Herat for a month!  All cos a bird chose their house to nest.  Yeah. I'm not at all obsessed with this feathered friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment