An empty bullet shell is the perfect flower vase

Friday, March 26, 2010

Whoaaaa Nelly


I had the pleasure of going to a Buzkhashi match at General Fahim's personal Buzkhashi grounds.  We were so close to the action that we had to fend off dirt and shit.  We could even reach out and touch someone, i.e., a horse.  What a crazy game and the whole time I kept thinking about how the Afghans want this to be an Olympic sport.  Who the fuck would play against this mob?  I was blown away though because these guys reach over and under their horses to grab a calf's body that has been soaked in water for 24 hours.  So it's double it's normal weight.  And after they grab the sucker, they ride with the dangling carcass across the field, around a pole and again in order to drop it into a chalk-outlined circle.  All this while everyone else that doesn't have the carcass is trying to bombard you and smack you into submission.  Everyone has these leather sticks that they use to smack their opponent in the head with or even their horse.

Obvi's the horse above is thinking "Fuck this shit!"  I wish the internet connection here was fast enough so that I could post for you the video of this joyous game.  So while these guys beat each other and their horses while fighting over the carcass of an innocent calf, General Fahim and his esteemed colleagues place bets on the riders.  It's every man for himself here.  Although the guys in red are all Fahim's players and guess what?  They won almost every time!  These guys make in one game what most Afghans wish they made in a whole month.  I wonder how much Fahim and his mates made!  Anyhorsey, I'm glad I went, and I don't see myself going again unless by some freakish decision lulee came for a visit and then I would have to make her dreams come true and take her.

This one's for you lulee.

No comments:

Post a Comment