An empty bullet shell is the perfect flower vase

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It's Been....

3 1/2 weeks since I started working and I have yet to see the likes of a business card.  I normally wouldn't care, but it seems as though everyone here is business card happy.  Say you go to a -security cleared- dining and libating establishment where the expat crowd convenes to exchange interesting stories about their experiences.  Say you strike a conversation with someone that knows someone that you are there with.  Guaranteed they will ask what you do and request a business card within the first 2.5 seconds of the conversation (Note: time not arbitrary; 2 seconds is spent exchanging pleasantries and aliases and .5 seconds is spent on the handshake that may or may not size you up for the rest of your existence in Afghanistan).

So you can imagine the inconvenience of having to explain that you don't yet have a business card (and its yet to be designed) and pulling out a pen and paper to write down your contact information.  Like I said, normally I wouldn't really care, but here it feels like I'm committing a crime.  And somebody answer me this: why, of all the office materials that one can have, do I have a glue stick (!) before a business card?

Maybe they're trying to hint that I should make my own? (insert squinted eyes here) And the glue is there to help me paste the 2 sides together!  

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps your boss is on the phone yelling to negotiate the prices for you business cards...and all this time you thought he was just a hot head. He is fighting for you!

    ReplyDelete